THE STORY BEHIND THE STORY - Rebecca Buckley's Blog

Monday, October 1, 2012

In Between Books ...

Well, here I am, in between books. Just submitted my latest novel MIDNIGHT IN MALIBU, and now I'm  feeling empty and restless, feeling like I should be writing something.  But what? 

In between books is not a good place to be, I'm thinking.  Usually it takes me quite some time to get focused on what to write next, to zero in on which of the works in progress, if any, or ideas that I'll take through to the next level. But this time, I'm really in a quandary 'cause I'm thinking I'll not do another 'Rachel O'Neill' novel right now. I think I need a break from it. Maybe do a completely different novel, not connected with the series. 

I've got two novel possibilities in the wings ... JESSICA and MAMA'S DIARIES.   

"Mama's Diaries" started out as a short story I wrote that received quite a bit of notice and comments.  I even read it on my radio show.  It's still there if you want to listen to it.  I love the story, and it could easily be turned into a novel, adding more to it.  There's room for a lot of great drama, romance, and conflict in it. One possibility. 

"Jessica" was slated to be next in line, but have been tossing up between adding it to the series or not. It could go either way.  It's set in North Carolina, Vegas, New York, and Port Isaac UK.  Quite a bit of adventure and excitement in it, no question. I believe the character Jessica could carry it without 'Rachel O'Neill' making an appearance. But then again, maybe Rachel could make a cameo appearance ... lol lol ... since Jessica will be in Cornwall where Rachel lives.  Yea! That would be fun.  In Port Isaac, sitting at the next table in a cafe,  something minor that only my fans and readers of the series would catch and recognize. Remember how Alfred Hitchcock would cameo in his films?  Well, I could do that with my character 'Rachel,'  I could. 

Actually, sometimes between novels I'll write a collection of short stories, or a play. As a matter of fact, I do have a collection that I've been working on.  Maybe I'll bring that book out next.  I call it 'The Other Side of Me'.  So that will be number four to add to the previous three: 'Love has a Price Tag', 'Bits & Pieces of Me', 'My Dramedy.'  Hey, that's a good idea! That's what I'll do.  Another collection of short stories. 

Okay ... so what stories will be in the book?  Let me see what I have that I haven't used in my other books.  

1.  Murder or Self Defense?
2.  Moving On
3.  Liars
4.  Out of Nowhere
5.  Jailbird
6.  I Saw It
7.  Falling Off the Edge

I've written or partially written the first five already.  The last two on the list, I haven't written yet.  So there we go.  My dilemma of 'what to write next' is solved.  

This has been a very therapeutic session tonite on my blog.  lol lol   Started out with just my thoughts of the let down after finishing a book and have ended up with a new focus and mission. Thank you, Rebecca.  Thank you, readers. HOORAY!!!!

So what do you do in between books?  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment on the subject at hand ... would love to hear your reaction or impressions. To make it simple, just sign in using 'anonymous', but please tell us who you are in the content of your comment.