THE STORY BEHIND THE STORY - Rebecca Buckley's Blog

Tuesday, August 6, 2013

. . . I'D PAY MORE ATTENTION

I posted a few days ago on my social sites that "If I had it to do over again, I'd pay more attention." An original quote, by the way, that came to me one late Friday night when my friend Trish and I were having wine and solving the world's problems. We discussed our own lives too.  And I came to the conclusion that if I had it to do over, knowing what I know now, I'd pay more attention.

Meaning several things . . .

One: I would have seriously considered what to do with my life, would have seriously considered what my dreams were, what I wanted more than anything else, maybe not husband and family, but what would make me the most happy. I would have diligently pursued the creative arts in some capacity: acting, music, writing, painting. Any or all would have made me very happy. As it turns out, I've done some theater, some music, some painting, and a lot of writing. So maybe I'm where I would have arrived at one point anyway.  But if I had begun much earlier, I would be so much further along in my career than I am now.   (A note to the young: recognize your passion and go with it early on.)

Two:  I would have gone on to earn degrees in English and Literature, Dramatic Arts, Music, and Fine Art.

Three:  I would have waited till I was in my late thirties to begin considering a mate, and then again, maybe not even then. Who knows? As it was, I had four children by the time I was twenty-seven, and was married and divorced several times. But I still managed to be creative and attended school in between this and that. If my educational credits were totaled up along with life and job experience credits, I could possibly wring out an undergraduate degree in English and then could go on for the Masters, etc.  But I'm thinking now I really don't need it. I'm doing what I want to do.

Four:  I would have begun world travel much sooner. Although in the past twenty years I've done more than most have done their entire lives. So I feel lucky on that count. But still I would have begun earlier and seen more. I guess I'm greedy.

Oh well, the past is over, no need to dwell on what I wish I would have done.  I can only do what I can and want now.  And I do. I still have dreams though ... and I am still watching them come true.

I'm grateful for my life and all it brings, and eager for more.   But . . . if I had it to do over again, knowing what I know now, I'd have paid more attention.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment on the subject at hand ... would love to hear your reaction or impressions. To make it simple, just sign in using 'anonymous', but please tell us who you are in the content of your comment.