THE STORY BEHIND THE STORY - Rebecca Buckley's Blog

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

AGENT OR NOT?

When is the right time to find an agent?  Is there a right time, or should a writer seek out that one special agent-person who will shop and sell his works from the get go?

I don't really have an answer for that one, but I notice that the writers who do go for the agent seem to have less difficulty in finding a publisher who might be interested in their work.  It makes sense to me that an agent would be an asset to a writer. I mean ... it would certainly free up time the writer would spend looking for a publisher, having to send out queries and all that goes along with it.

As a publisher, I receive queries from agents and writers on a daily basis.  I notice the queries from agents consist more of the information I want to see, moreso than the queries from the writers. Of course most agents are professionals and make their living from the polished queries they send out.  The more interesting they make them, the higher the chances that publishers will bite.

So as a writer ... I'm putting on my writer hat now ... as a writer, I'm considering finding an agent. My time is becoming more and more scarce, taken up with writing, editing, and publishing, so there is no time to shop my own books, plays, and screenplays ... IF (big if) that's the route I want to take now.  First, I'm thinking that I'd like to seek out a major publisher for my next novel, which will be a departure from the "Rachel O'Neill" novels, my "Midnight" novels.  Second, my stage and screen plays are just sitting here.  What good is that? 

So, in answer to my own question - AGENT OR NOT? - I guess one knows if and when it's the right time. 

After publishing five books and three stageplays, as well as three screenplays ... I'm thinking NOW is the right time for me.  (I'm writing my sixth book and another stageplay as we speak.)

1 comment:

  1. An excellent blog, Becca! As you know, I'm currently soliciting agents for a couple of my books and finding it's a lot of work in itself!

    I think my writing experience and platforms are weak, my biggest drawback at this point. After reading your post though, I guess I'll keep on plugging!

    All my best,
    Kevin McArthur
    kevinmcarthur.webs.com

    ReplyDelete

Please comment on the subject at hand ... would love to hear your reaction or impressions. To make it simple, just sign in using 'anonymous', but please tell us who you are in the content of your comment.