THE STORY BEHIND THE STORY - Rebecca Buckley's Blog

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

FAT TO MUSCLE

Reading "The Fat-To-Muscle Diet - Boost Your Metabolism for Permanent Weight Loss" by Victoria Zak, Cris Carlin, M.S., R.D., and Peter D. Vash, M.D., M.P.H. Published in 1987 by G. P. Putnam's Sons, New York.

So far this appears to be the most logical and doable program I've run across. Makes the most sense. Reducing fat intake and increasing metabolism alone would usually do the trick if you can do it, but I've been searching for a complete new way to approach aging and weight gain.

And believe me, I've got all the books ... Atkins, Southbeach, Fit for Life, etc etc ... an entire shelf of them. This one gives you three meals a day (breakfast, lunch, dinner), broken down into five components: starch, fruit, dairy, vegetable, protein . . . and gives you lists of foods that fit into those categories. You choose and create. If you snack you take something from the lunch or dinner groups, but you don't duplicate them, it's one or the other.

This along with exercise of course, it goes without saying. Doesn't work without exercise and drinking lots of water. Simple, simple, simple. Couldn't get any simpler. No fats at all for the first couple of weeks while you're acclimating to the change in your diet. After that you add a tad of fat to the mix. But at a minimum.

Something in the book that jumped out at me ... when you eat sweets and fats, each makes you crave the other till your diet is eventually made up mostly of the two. And I can attest to that as being factual. I've watched what I've been eating and it is so true. One breeds the other until they take over your food intake.

One thing I must do, though, is cultivate a taste for yogurt. Up to now I've never cared for the stuff. But I see it can be a substitute for fats in cooking. It works as a substitute for sour cream on vegetables along with spices although I don't like sour cream anyway, my downfall is butter). And you can use yogurt on baked potato, or as a mix for macaroni salads.

You can eat pasta, by the way, that's one of your starches - 1/2 cup at lunch and dinner. That appeals to me. Served with a half cup of chopped, seasoned, canned tomatoes or fresh tomatoes . . . perfect! I can do that, I do it already. Just need to make a change in proportions, evidently 2 or more cups at a sitting just doesn't hack it. Proportions are very important, I'm seeing. No overeating allowed.

Instead of mayonaise on tuna, use a dash of mustard and a spoon of yogurt with seasonings.

Instead of poaching fish in oil or butter (like I do) use a 1/2 cup dry white wine with seasonings. The alcohol burns off and leaves a well-seasoned protein.

Lots of tips in the book.

Sooooooooooooooooo ... a new me will emerge in a month or two, and I'm lovin' it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment on the subject at hand ... would love to hear your reaction or impressions. To make it simple, just sign in using 'anonymous', but please tell us who you are in the content of your comment.